2. any of a number of tropical vines of the genus Dioscorea many having edible tuberous roots
3. sweet potato with deep orange flesh that remains moist when baked
4. edible tuberous root of various yam plants of the genus Dioscorea grown in the tropics world-wide for food
5. A large, esculent, farinaceous tuber of various climbing plants of the genus Dioscorea; also, the plants themselves. Mostly natives of warm climates. The plants have netted-veined, petioled leaves, and pods with three broad wings. The commonest species is D. sativa, but several others are cultivated.
6. Any one of several cultural varieties of the sweet potato.