1. Of or pertaining to a Yankee; characteristic of the Yankees.
2. used by Southerners for an inhabitant of a northern state in the United States (especially a Union soldier)
3. an American who lives in the North (especially during the American Civil War)
4. an American who lives in New England
5. an American (especially to non-Americans)
6. A nickname for a native or citizen of New England, especially one descended from old New England stock; by extension, an inhabitant of the Northern States as distinguished from a Southerner; also, applied sometimes by foreigners to any inhabitant of the United States.